[aprssig] Use Precision Mapping 9.0 To Create Perfectly Calibrated Static Maps For APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 10:17:11 EDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 9:03 AM, Dave wrote:
> Ugh!   FileHippo and Mediafire download sites!
>
> Hope you have good up-to-date antivirus tools.  Else take care.

I've never had any problems indicated with either Kaspersky, AVG or No Script
(Firefox plugin) at these sites.

> Oh, and your UiView server, other than yourself, hasn't heard much on HF
> yet.

Wouldn't you know it!   30M had been really popping the last month or two.
Then, just as I announced the server returning to service, the sunspot count
took a dive and most of the activity disappeared!  Hopefully, in the next few
days, it will return.

(The day before my post, there were 7 stations on the east coast, 3 stations on
the west coast and 4 or 5 in the US interior and 3 in Canada including a mobile
in Saskatchewan showing!)

> Note too, that PM is useless for anything outside N America.

Actually not so.   It can produce simple outline maps with national boundaries
showing and major cities marked as point objects anywhere in the world.  You
get what looks like an elementary school map with each country a different
pastel color in a simple Mercator-like  rectangular projection.  You can then
over or underlay as much additional detail (vector or bitmap) from other
sources in multiple layers as you wish.

See <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMapEuroMapSamples>   for examples.