[aprssig] Real-Time 30-Meter RF-Only APRS Display Back OnLine

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 22:39:58 EDT 2012

The live 30-meter RF part of my UIview webserver is now back online, months
after I moved from California to Haslett (near East Lansing) Michigan.

The server is now displaying what I am hearing on RF on 30 meters; both the
conventional AX.25 300-baud packet APRS --and-- the newer PSK63-based APRS.

The receive setup is a homebrew 5-foot (1.5 meter) diameter magnetic loop
antenna at 25 feet (7.5 meters) connected to a Kenwood TS-440S.  Decoding is
with the UZ7HO "Soundmodem" soundcard TNC on AX.25, and with APRS Messenger on
PSK63/GMSK.  Both are running on the same Soundblaster64 PCI sound card
simultaneously.   (The Soundmodem so vastly outperformed the KAM hardware TNC
that I have used in the past, that I retired it and accepted the vast increase
in CPU loading required for software-based receive.)

The map of the whole continental US and near parts of Canada is also plotting
the NWS Weather advisories, watches and warnings from the Firenet feed.

The US map also plots KJ4ERJ's real-time Internet object feed for the
International Space Station. Along wth the point object (APRS satellite symbol
a.k.a. "icon") representing the location of the ISS itself,  a large green
polygon APRS area object showing the station's current radio foot print on the
ground is plotted.   From time to time, I may randomly switch the map from
North America only, to a world display so that the station will show, even when
it is NOT over North America.

A second map is displaying real-time activity on 2 meters 144.39 here in
central Michigan.  Everything on this map is being heard off-the-air (RF only)
at my house with a Comet "SuperGainer" 20-foot tall dual-band collinear ant --
no Internet feed is involved.

. <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths