[aprssig] Tomtom's For APRS (Question)

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Apr 2 00:33:24 EDT 2012

> Even very basic early GPS units with displays and serial
> interfaces, such as the original Garmin eTrex and my
> Foretrex could do this waypoint display.

Go even earlier to the Garmin GPS 38, 40 and similar units.  They didn't have a map, but they did have what I called the "plot screen".  Any waypoints saved or sent to the unit by the Kenwood D7/700 (also HamHUD, OpenTracker 1+, Ozi Anti-Tracker, I could go on and on) would be shown on this map plot screen so you could at least get an idea of where station were in relation to you and each other.

We actually borrowed this plot screen idea when we added it to the YagTracker (http://www.rpc-electronics.com/datasheets/rpc/yagtracker-manualv1_44reva.pdf).  The YagTracker really isn't capable of a full mapping system on-screen, but the plot screen, with the addition of range rings has made it a very useful tool for the mobile APRS user.  Oh and the YagTracker support $GPWPL waypoint strings as well!

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electroncis.com