[aprssig] Tomtom's For APRS (Question)

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Sun Apr 1 22:45:51 EDT 2012

Hi,

While I certainly have nothing against POSP (Plain Old Serial Port) the
movement towards USB for embedded devices has begun. You've heard of the
Raspberry PI and other very low cost computers running Linux. These have
USB ports that work fine with all kinds of devices, including FTDI and
Prolific Serial adapters. With the Raspberry PI costing about as much as
an Arduino but with orders of magnitude more capability there will be
little reason to futz with AVRs and PICs anymore. Even the simplest
devices will run SOCs with Linux.

As an aside, there is a USB host shield for the Arduino and it may be
possible to support various USB devices if their protocols are open.
Doesn't sound like a very pleasant exercise to be honest.

I have a D72 and I like how easy it is to hook up to my netbook. At the
same time I see the limitation of that interface so I wish it had both
USB and serial. It is likely that the radio has a separate USB
controller which would enable the desperate tinker to intercept the TTL
level serial data. That should be fine for short distances.

Arduino wise I've built my own focuser controller for my telescope. It
has a built in USB serial port which makes it easy to use on modern
laptops without serial ports.

73,

     Sander W1SOP