[aprssig] APRS 1.2 expanded symbol set

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Sep 19 16:57:31 EDT 2011

On 9/19/2011 4:14 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Lynn was right to point out how the EYEBALL overlays are already taken.  So
> the PORTABLE symbol is the best one we have for using overlays to indicate
> types of special portable events.

NO, NO, NO!  The Eyeball and Portable (Field Day) symbols are both
PRIMARY table symbols and are NOT backward compatible with overlays!
All of the previously proposed extended overlay definitions were based
on an originally overlayable (read ALTERNATE) table entry.  (And it
wasn't the Eyeball that was previously proposed as an overlay, it was
the (alternate table) smokestack with related specifics of Haze, Smoke,
Blowing Snow/Dust, and Fog as listed at
http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt).

If you attempt to do an overlay on Portable, existing clients (and even
new clients) won't see an overlayed tent, but will be presented with an
overlayed picnic table, NOT what you have in mind, but of course I could
be mistaken.

> Since the October 2007 APRS1.2 re-alignment of sympbols was proposed, there
> have been no substantive objections, so I am going to assume everyone agrees
> and declare it approved.

The hundreds of newly specifiable overlay meanings MUST (IMHO) be based
on originally overlayable symbols from the alternate table.  Otherwise,
please log my strenuous objection to the whole concept of the extended
overlay definitions (which, incidentally are already implemented in the
textual description of the symbols in APRSISCE/32).

Am I the only one seeing this or am I mis-interpreting something here?
Maybe it's just a naming thing, but you're not really overlaying
"Portable" (the tent), but Park/Picknic (the table).  It's a big thing
with respect to what people will see in all existing APRS client
implementations.