[aprssig] APRS 1.2 expanded symbol set

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 19 16:14:23 EDT 2011

Its time to formally adopt the APRS1.2 expanded Overlay Symbol Sets.

The proposal was published in October 2007 and there has been no substantive
objections, so it is time to move on, so that new authors can take advantage
of these new hundreds of combinations.

> Bob and Lynn,
> Thanks to both of you for your answers...
> I think I will use the camp site/portable symbol ...

Lynn was right to point out how the EYEBALL overlays are already taken.  So
the PORTABLE symbol is the best one we have for using overlays to indicate
types of special portable events.

I have updated the SYMBOL tables and documents to reflect this block of
overlayable symbols.

I hope all the new authors are taking advantage of the new APRS1.2 symbols
so that we can move forward with hundreds of new overlays.

Since the October 2007 APRS1.2 re-alignment of sympbols was proposed, there
have been no substantive objections, so I am going to assume everyone agrees
and declare it approved.

What it did was move some WX symbols around and consolidate them as overlays
in such new blocks as Precipitation, VISIBILITY etc, which then freed up
their old single symbol to be an expanadable new block of overlayable 36
different symbol combinations.

See http://aprs.org/symbols.html

Bob, WB4APR