[aprssig] Identifying TX Igates

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Mon Sep 19 12:25:43 EDT 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> RX-only IGates kill the functionality of the APRS-IS as a universal system!

But their operators should not feel any guilt. They might have very good
technical or regulatory reasons not to TX. Please try not to make them
feel bad - we should actually be thankful to the RX-only igate operators,
too!

If they kill any functionality, that's the software's fault, not the
operators. Additional igates should only make the whole system better,
whether they are RX or TX igates, if things work right. Ok, TX igates
could make it even better. But RX is good, too. :)

> Compounding this problem is that we have no way of knowing if people are
> using the right symbol for their IGate.  Are they using "I" because it is
> really  a TX Igate, or just because it seems logical?

Users are generally not very good at configuring obscure settings like
this correctly (and it's very hard to even reach everyone involved to
educate them). I believe that the software (igate, aprs-is, aprs.fi...)
should figure out in some other way whether the transmitter actually
works, than by looking at the symbol.

> APRS-IS local service.  These guys will take the trouble to indicate a TX
> Igate.  When we see one of those, we have proof-positive that the IGate
> includes a two-way TX capability.

And then the TX might stop working (break) and the symbol would stay the
same. It would be good if the system could automatically figure out where
the working transmitters are. For example, the neighbouring RX igate does
hear the RF transmissions from the TX igate, which can then serve as the
positive proof.

> I& - is an IGate, but is ambiguous with respect to transmitting
> R& - means it is definitely an RX only IGate
> T& - Means it is definitely a TX IGate with one hop path only
> 2& - means it is a TX igate clobbering two hops in all directions
> 3& - means it is a TX SPAM GENERATOR , (or a legitimate special case)
> Etc..
>
> Should we do this???

If the symbols should indicate things like this at some point with good
reliability, then the igate software (aprx, aprsisce, etc) should probably
automatically set the symbol according to it's settings. If TX igate is
enabled with 1 hop path, the software should automatically set it's symbol
to T& (and not let the user change it back). But I'm not sure what would
be the value of this? There would be legitimate reasons to use other
symbols, like weather stations and digipeaters with igate functionality.

   - Hessu