[aprssig] Mobile Digipeating

David Nichols dnchls at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 00:34:30 EDT 2011

I am in search and rescue and use APRS so others can keep track of me. I
live in New Mexico where we have many digipeaters on mountain tops, but we
still have many dead zones. I have a YAESU VX-8DR ht that I carry with me
both when practicing and on actual searches. I am considering buying a
Kenwood TM-D710A. I would like to use the 710 in my mobile as a digipeater
to either get back to search base on a search or to a mountain digi when I'm
practicing so my family can know where I'm at on APRS.fi. I would typically
be within a couple of miles from my truck when I transmitted an APRS signal
from my ht. How much power does the 710 transmit when in digipeater mode?
Would this be a situation where using a mobile would be useful? Presently,
it just doesn't seem I have the punch I need when using the ht.
Unfortunately, the people I know both in SAR and amateur radio have never
played with mobile digipeaters and are pretty clueless on the matter.

Dave

N5FMA