[aprssig] Shack backup power

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 11 20:46:13 EDT 2011

All I know is that my 1200W quasi sine inverter in my car trunk that I got from PEP boys for $120 easily starts my refrigerator.  It also starts 5000 BTU ACU units to my unbelievable surprise.

I think it is because these modern modified sine wave inverters have quite a 180 VDC storage capacitor prior to the 60 HZ switchers that can provide the several millisecond starting current?

Oh, you are right.  I said generator... and yes, I have had problems starting  a refrigerator from a generator... but have been amazed at the inverter performance.