[aprssig] Shack backup power

KBØNLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Sun Sep 11 19:56:39 EDT 2011

Where are you buying solar that cheap??  Last I priced it, about two months
ago, it was something on the order of $3 per watt, I don't see where your
coming up with $.07 per kWh, even the installers around here that do this
stuff for a living laughed when I told them I wanted to be equal to my grid
power in cost.

Skylights, windows, even tempered car glass, nothing withstood the hail we
had July 1st, add 80mph straight line winds, gusts to 120mph with the
tornado, and flying debris, no solar would have been viable.  The houses
looked like they were hit with a machine gun, or blasted with shotguns, the
siding was hanging off in pieces.  Entire steel buildings and commercial
towers were toppled.  And we get at least one good hail storm a year with
that potential.  So I guess I won't ever be going solar if it can't be made
to withstand it.

www.kb0nly.info and check out the photo albums at the top of the page, the
yellow highlighted links.

73,