[aprssig] Shack backup power

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Sun Sep 11 18:13:07 EDT 2011

This "grid tie" is a thread that I've always had trouble understanding and I
was totally unaware that it even existed but I see now there is a name that
we can use for the specific thing.

My objective was to be able to continue my  life without   concern if the
farmer's co-op electric power company stopped service.  And it is remarkably
reliable.  In the past five years I don't think we have been without power
for a total of twelve hours.   But I also knew that others had not been so
fortunate and that lack of commercial power for a period of a week or more
wasn't unheard of.   This thought of this in a Wisconsin winter was
distinctly unpleasant.

So, I was willing to pay for a system that would supply a significant
fraction of my routine power demands and make sure that my life would not be
significantly interrupted in any way.  Well pump, refrigerators, freezers,
water heater, furnace and wood stove blowers  are all automatically
transferred to my generator about a minute after any interruption in
commercial service.   Since I did most of the work myself the cost was
$4,000.   Yes, you could say that I paid $333 per hour (so far) for this
capability.   At first my wife complained bitterly about this "senseless
expense."   But after the first time that unit "fired up" fed by LP gas from
the 500 gallon tank and she was able to water her flowers on the hottest day
of the year all complaints stopped.   And I am now asked whether or not I've
changed oil in that engine and why haven't I waxed the enclosure of the
unit, as recommended by the manufacturer!   And she has commented that she
feels secure in the dead of winter when news of power outages in other
places occur I guess I simply feel that my decision was sound.

And a separate gasoline powered inverter generator with deep discharge
batteries serves the ham shack.

73

Lee  K9WRU