[aprssig] APRS vs. SPOT

joe at dellabarba.com joe at dellabarba.com
Wed Sep 7 12:59:18 EDT 2011

In other news, cell phones are usually better than a H/T to call your wife.
Ham = experiment and develop new ideas. Rollout multi-million/billion dollar
infrastructure = not so much.
APRS succeeded because it re-purposed 1200 baud packet equipment that was
otherwise headed to the dumpster. If it had rolled out on AIS type hardware the
adoption rate would have been MUCH lower.
IMHO
73 de N3HGB
Joe