[aprssig] APRS vs. SPOT

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 7 11:46:37 EDT 2011

Clay AA3JY wrote...

> Watching some of the subscribers on SPOT put out consistent tracking
> just about anywhere in the US, Canada, Mexico..so why can't APRS
> come even close!?! Also dollar for dollar..it's cheaper to do SPOT...

www.findmespot.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPOT_Satellite_Messenger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPIRB

Probably because we don't have dedicated APRS satellites. It is subscription
based so there are costs involved. For anyone hiking or skiing off the beaten
track, a SPOT would be an excellent addition. For real emergencies, I would
probably want an EPIRB, but the SPOT can be used for day-to-day uses and
on the right service plan, you can send messages from it too.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH