[aprssig] Wrt setup

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:52:41 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 11:21, Lawrence LaBranche <Capdiamont at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I got a linksys wrt54g router, ok-232 tnc(no upgrades) and a borrowed icom ht. I've put openWRT and aprx 2? on the router. Beaconing to aprs-is works.
>
> Is there any problems with this setup with dup checking, etc? I think since the aprx is handling the traffic it should be fully Be compatible with the wide 1-1 etc stuff.

aprx is fully capable of modern digipeating.

> The circuit I've seen to connect the radio to the tnc has a 2.2k resistor and a 4uf capacitor. I can't find any capacitor locally with that value. I can find 4.7uf one. How ciritical is the value? What type of cap should I use?

The 4.7uf should be close enough. I'd use a simple ceramic capacitor.

> I thought about getting the open tracker plus SMD to put inside, but not sure about the voltage levels vs the 3.3V signal levels inside the router.

The OpenTracker SMT shows RS-232 data on the pin-out, which means
you'd need a level converter to get back to 3.3V TTL. You would also
need a 5V supply, or use the OpenTracker SMT's regulator with the
un-regulated input to the WRT54G (12V IIRC).

Tom KD7LXL