[aprssig] Winlink symbol position ambiguity

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 5 09:37:25 EDT 2011

>>the Winlink symbols, are placed by the Winlink
>> system in the center of the grid square

>>> I certainly hope then that they are including
>>> the 1 mile (Actually, 10 mile)... Transmitting
>>> what appears to be precise positions for things
>>> that are not precise violates the integrity of ARPS. .

>L: 0.1nm ambiguity, at least on W4MLB-10 in my area.

>T: This is a decision that has been made by the Winlink
>  Development Team... The WDT has said no on multiple
>  occasions. The reason given to me was only that the
>  position is not intended by the WL2K system to
>  provide a precise location, it is only to point out
>  the availability of the service to people traveling
>  in the area.

I am glad to hear they are using ambiguity.  But, what is the size of a typical grid square?  It is certainly bigger than 0.2 miles, so in my opinion, they are using the wrong ambiguity.

Can someone give me the email adddress of who to contact in this regard.?  Isnt a grid square something like 60 miles across?  In that case they should be sending 10 mile ambiguity!

Bob, WB4APR