[aprssig] Clock/timing accuracy when generating an APRS signal

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 07:00:45 EDT 2011

As an asside to this.

Though it will not affect (for the better) the noise issue, the best and
easiest way to reduce "other process induced latency" on a Windows
machine (at least) is to max out the working RAM it has, within reason.

There is no point stuffing 8G into a machine running a 32 bit verion of
the OS, as that can only address under 4G at best.  Unless the hardware
is 64bit capable, and you plan going that route, but then there are
issues running some older "Ham" 32 bit code, on 64 bit systems!  It never
ends.

Anyway...  The less time it spends swapping stuff in/out of Virtual
Memory (on disk) the better the overall system performance.

As hinted at by Stephen Smith, keeping to an absolute minimum, all the
background "Accessories" (printer monitors, IM clients etc) helps no end
too.  (Right click, and select 'Exit' if you have to have them load at
boot time.)

But as he also said, there is no substitute for dedicated hardware, even
if it has to have it's own dedicated processor.

Not sure about the TigerTronics devices.  I've heard mixed stores about
them in other walks of Ham Radio life.  They are not that well liked in
the SDR and ALE communities, for other reasons.

Take Care.

73

Dave G0WBX.