[aprssig] 12V wiring ideas

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Oct 29 14:16:58 EDT 2011

Jim G1HUL wrote...

> Interestingly the advice in the UK about double-fusing and where to
> connect the ground has changed. Used to be both to the battery and
> double-fused. The advice now in the radio industry is to put the
> ground to chassis very close to the battery, and no fuse.

The best connection for the radio is straight to the battery, but the
negative lead should definitely be fused if done this way. If the battery
to ground connection goes open or develops any appreciable resistance,
the radio could end up providing the negative connection to the battery
e.g. from the headlights or even worse, the starting motor. It isn't just
the negative lead to the radio that you are trying to protect. It is also
ground traces on the circuit board and other circuitry in the radio
and even the coax shield.

I can sorta see the argument for not fusing the negative lead if you
connect the cable to the chassis instead of to the battery, but what
if the battery was not the only thing with a faulty ground? I think I
would err on the side of caution and fuse the negative lead anyway.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH