[aprssig] 12V wiring ideas

KA7O ka7o at ka7o.net
Sat Oct 29 15:13:22 EDT 2011

I work for a company that builds hundreds of LEO and PS vehicles every
year for agencies in several states. We build our own harnesses, use a
centralized power distribution block, ignition sense, high current and
low current feeds, etc, etc, etc. It's a big production. And our
reputation in this business is not only respected, but has been for decades.

We tried Anderson PowerPoles on these vehicles. They were only used to
connect our Power Distribution Units to their main feeds. After 2 years
- we no longer even carry them as replacement parts. We had so many
reliability problems, connections working loose, intermittent problems -
having to apply tape, zip ties or other 'band-aids' to keep these
critical vehicles reliable - our engineering policy now is to just
replace them when we encounter them. What did we replace them with? Bolt
studs, nuts, lock washers and eye rings. Snug them down and they stay put.

PowerPoles were simply not the best choice for our application as they
are designed to be opened and closed with cycle counts exceeding
hundreds and into the thousands. At this, they excel. But, unless you're
a hobbiest, a developer, other experimenter or for some other reason
have a need to remove, return, remove, return over many, many cycles -
it's not the right connector.

The features that makes them so useful for ham use is what makes them
in-appropriate for high reliability or critical connections. They simply
come apart too easily.

Don't get me wrong - I like them and use them myself - where
appropriate. But, they are not a cure all that is right for every
connection.

73