[aprssig] deaf, dumb and blind (rescue)

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Sat Oct 29 14:16:39 EDT 2011

Bob,

I have been on this particular chase this time of the year a few years ago.

- Think about how far the balloon went from Huntsville.
- Think about the roads that cross mountains. There are not many and they
are not straight in line with the balloon path.
- If that balloon would have made it over that last mountain, the chase team
would have been impeded by fewer roads in the Cohutta Mountains. I know, I
have been there a short distance from Hell's Hollow Road. A real road that
lived up to its name (not passable with a conventional vehicle). That chase
required radio location skills since the APRS payload failed on crash
landing, but the CW beacon continued.

The landing today is a stretch from the launch site. If the chase team dos
not leave before launch and get into a predicted landing site area, there is
no chance they will get there very soon. Even if everything works correctly
some places have limited road access. I still see some of the chase team
making their way to the site.

You should hear the story about a balloon payload that landed in
Guntersville Lake on a busy boating afternoon. The Coast Guard got involved
when the payload parachuted into the Lake...

Showing the payload to the land owner, taking pictures, and talking about
the purpose of the mission is always a fun time as long as the land owner is
friendly. Just make sure you get permission before crossing anybody's land.
Some land owners are not impressed with unknown or unwelcome guests.

Tim - N8DEU