[aprssig] 12V wiring ideas

Shanon KA8SPW ka8spw at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 29 10:36:30 EDT 2011

David,

  I use 60 amp MAXI fuses at the battery on both leads.  Then #6 red and
black wire that I have slid the braided shield off of 9913 coax onto
then wrap with electrical tape and put in split loom.  I ground the
braid at the battery end only.  Fresh rubber gromet through the fire
wall with RTV to keep out water.  I then do a fuse or screw terminal
distribution block in the passenger compartment.

  Anderson Power Poles are nice and I use them for low amp stuff (under
20 amp actual draw) but on HF stuff or 100 watt mobiles I use screw
terminals.  I did tests and there is just too much voltage drop over
APP's.  I used a fluke DMM on each side of the connection to measure the
drop at the connection.  It is worse if they don't line up just right or
the crimps are not done just right.  Also if there is any twist stress
on the wire as it comes into the APP.  Measuring the same across crimped
eye terminals was almost un-measurable.

  The shielding works for me to keep both electrical noise out of my
power leads and RF from back radiating down the power leads and into the
vehicles electrical system.  YMMV.

For wire I go to *West Marine* and buy it by the foot.  You can buy on
line or find a high end audio store.  Measure twice and cut once, not cheep.

For auto wire accessories I use *Waytek Wire* at:
*http://waytekwire.com  *Their prices are much lower than retail.

As always, this works for me and I have not had any fires or accidents.
Your Mileage May Vary.  I do commercial installs in everything from cars
to LARGE mobile command posts, boats, garbage trucks, ATV's to EOC's

Good Luck, Shanon KA8SPW