[aprssig] 12V wiring ideas

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 07:47:08 EDT 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

> The one concern I have about Anderson PowerPoles is that they are not a
> positive locking connector. They depend on friction to stay connected.
> Without some sort of lock, they could vibrate apart, especially in a mobile
> installation. Don't get me wrong--I love PowerPoles and use them in other
> applications. But they do have limitations.

That's where the tiny cable ties come in:  Put them either through the holes in each set (if you don't use the locking pins) or around the backs of both blocks between the wires, if you're joining a 2-wire set to a 2-wire set.

Of course that won't help if you're plugging into a multi-powerpole box which is what I do.  I drive an old Jeep and seldom have connectors come off, even with 4-wheeling up a mountain, but it has happened.  Dress the wires slightly and you're good.  More often than not it's my kids kicking things loose 'cuz I haven't dressed everything properly out of the way of the passenger.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
Additional pages:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u