[aprssig] Satellite positions: FREQUENCY

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Oct 19 15:11:58 EDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 2:05 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:
> callsign data

Send a callsign to WHO-IS.  If you prefix it with f<space>, you'll get
"full" information.

>   keps

I haven't figured out how to compress them sufficiently to fit within a
single APRS message and sending multiple messages smacks of just not
sufficient.  Not to mention how to get them into the various
TLE-consuming software that's out there.  I gave up on that and decided
to just do the pass prediction messaging server.

> icons,

In what format?  xastir uses one thing, UI-View another, APRSISCE/32 a
third, and who knows WHAT the iSomethins and 'droids are using.  And can
you imagine the look of everyone's maps come April 1st?

> software updates

1-2 MByte over a 1200baud shared channel?  No thanks!

> .   We have the bandwidth and should be using it.

We are.  Just tune over to 144.390 in any APRS-busy area and give a
listen.  And to hear Bob say it, 20% loading is a good plan for a shared
access channel or throughput actually begins to drop.