[aprssig] Object Classification (FINAL WORD)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Oct 18 13:48:30 EDT 2011

>> 5) THIS MEANS, an OBJECT, a STATION, or a TACTICAL
>> CALLSIGN are IDENTICLE with respect to updates.

> There is a huge fundamental flaw in asuming equality
> in all items, when someone sends an object with the
> same name as the object I was sending they will take
> over ownership when they edit it,

Correct.  This is the design of APRS.  Anyone with new or better information
on an object/thing/station can take it over and assume responsibility.  It
is the ONLY way to maintain a correct tactical picture.  Without this
fundamtentla principle, the map gets cluttered with obsolete, out of date,
incorrect information which cannot be fixed in real time in the field.

Of course, it someone transmits an OBJECT that takes over your STAITON
CALLSIGN and moves it somewhere to correct an erroneous position, then only
if it was an OBJECT will it be taken over.  If your station continues to
send its incorrect position, it will TAKE IT BACK on the next transmission.

Guys can fight over positions all day long, but at least EVERY position can
be editied, and every edit will contain WHO DONE IT.

Bob, Wb4APR