[aprssig] Satellite positions: Design Rationale

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:00:03 EDT 2011

Hi Lynn,

$.02 from a Sat operator...

I like Bob's suggestion. Well before a pass (longer than an hour is ok),
knowing when the pass will be, and how high it will be, are the most
useful pieces of information. Shortly before the pass, knowing how many
minutes before it starts and how high it will be are most useful. I
rarely stalk a satellite, so it's random chance whether it's more or
less than an hour away, hence keeping the how high the pass will be is
still useful. During a pass, knowing Az, El, and time to end of pass is
best.

Being really clear which of the three cases you are transmitting is also
important. Yesterday it was sheer luck that ISS happened to be up. It
took me a few minutes to realize that I was in case #3, compared
information with my PC in disbelief, and by that time the pass was
almost over.

It occurs to me that the contents of the message you send to "ISS" is
ignored. Could it be used as a command autoresponder, indicating what
sort of information or format is desired? You could also use it to
validate the request, in case there is a collision in the object
namespace. You never know if AO51 is a satellite, or an ET visiting a
certain place in New Mexico...

Greg KO6TH