[aprssig] Satellite positions: Objects or Stations?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Oct 15 13:06:48 EDT 2011

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Bob Bruninga  wrote:

> In your generated ISS Position from the ISS callsign, of course, you
> will have to add a note on he end in the comment field to the effect "de
> KJ4ERJ" of course.

I have to say that I would greatly prefer to see ISS as an object, not a
station. There is a standard way to transmit a position of something on
behalf of that something, and still indicate the source of the
transmissions, and that's objects (and items). If it would be a station,
I, as an user, would be assuming the transmissions are actually
transmitted by the real ISS instead of Lynn's software. My software would
naturally make the same assumption and make it's user have the same
belief.

The "de KJ4ERJ" would be non-standard and non-parseable since it would be
in the free-form comment text field.

I also have to admit I'm also not a big fan of transmitting satellite
tracks on the APRS-IS, since they can't be transmitted very often (to not
flood the APRS RF channel and the IS), and the satellites move very fast -
the distance between the transmitted positions is so large that the APRS
user will rarely see them in his rather zoomed-in local view, unless it
happens to go right overhead and the transmission happens on the exact
right moment, or unless the user will specifically look up the station
using his client software (in which case he could use software which
calculates the position from the keplers as well). I honestly believe it
might make more sense to regularly transmit the keplers instead and
implement the position calculation on the client side.

For example, even in Helsinki, on the south coast of Finland, ISS
would never cross the area filters for transmitting igates, or the APRS-IS
clients displaying traffic in Finland, although ISS can be regularly
worked from here.

The message server replying with the next pass information, on the other
hand, is very useful indeed! Thank you!

   - Hessu