[aprssig] Satellite positions: Objects or Stations?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Oct 15 12:31:44 EDT 2011

> Would it be sufficient to include a ,KJ4ERJ-15*,
> in the path?  Or is the qaC,KJ4ERJ-5 that is
> added by the APRS-IS server sufficient?

Probably not... BUT, I think y ou are synthesizing these on the APRS-IS only, and so you can put anything you want in the digi field?  Could you put in "de KJ4ERJ" in the first digi field?  I dont think anything parses the actual digi fields...  But come to think about it, when an IGte puts it back to RF, I think it truncates all of the early part of the path, so that part of info woiuld be lost?

BUT!!!  The IGate is adding its own header in 3rd party format, and so at that point the IGate is taking origination responsiblity.  And before that, while it is on the APRS-IS, then the pseudo "de KJ4ERJ" is fully visible.

BUT I still prefer putting it on the end of the packet.  Its there to be legal, but may not be visibile on many radios. If it  is beyond he 20th position, it wont show on the D7, if it is beyond the 28th position, it wont show on the D700.  If it is beyone the 64th position it wont show on the D710 etc...

ANyway, put it on the end so it does not mess up the format sof the real data...