[aprssig] iPhone / iTouch / iPad

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 11:55:21 EDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 11:24 AM, ve9nps wrote:

> There is an Open APRS for the iPhone however it is dependent on a wireless
> network to support the maps and the data feed.  This can get expensive on a
> data package for long term use and be a draw back when you go "off grid".
>

> Does anyone have an thoughts, ideas, or interest in creating such an app for
> the iPhone / iPad systems?  Unfortunately, programming is not my forte.
>

> 73
>

> Peter VE1PS / VE9NPS

You will have the same problem with any APRS app for the iPhone/iPad -- the
lack of a stand-alone completely-local mapping system like Precision Mapping or
MapPoint.  Any app on these devices will remain tethered to the Internet for
mapping.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7