[aprssig] Satellite positions: Objects or Stations?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Oct 15 08:57:28 EDT 2011

> Iss as a station ?
>
>Iss is not a station
>Iss is an object

Let me say it again.  THINGS in APRS can be transmitted in several position formats.  Two of them are a station report and an object report.  The ONLY difference is that the station report THING NAME comes from the MYCALL in the TNC.  The OBJECT format is simply another way of reporting a THING that has a name longer than 6 characters or that has punctuation in it.

Once received, they are to be treated identically in all respects.  They are just two different ways of sending something, depending whether the name will fit in a callsign field in a TNC (the shorter format) or whether they have to use the longer OBJECT format. THEY ARE IDENTICAL THINGS once they have been received.

Bob, WB4APR