[aprssig] 30 Meters Finally Coming Back To Life!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 13:30:13 EDT 2011

I participate in a 30-Meter SSTV gathering that takes place each Saturday
between 13:00 and 15:00 Eastern time on 10.132.00 MHz.. This week, propagation
was far better than it has been in MONTHS!  My mobile "SSTV LiveCAM"  was
copied, from my HF mobile by at least three other stations.  A very high
(S8-S9) local noise level prevented me from receiving much, but others heard me.

After the SSTV sched time (13:00-15:00 Eastern), I moved to 10.149.200/400 HF
AX.25 APRS and had an APRS text messaging conversation with N2JR in Virginia
for almost two hours while parked in my driveway in central Michigan.  At least
6 stations up and down the East Coast were showing on my UIview map.

However some disturbing trends on 30 meters:    One station was gating VHF &
TCP/IP traffic onto HF.  Several others were attempting to be digipeated using
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 paths on HF. And at least one (K4SHP) was aiding and abetting
this by acting as a digipeater, responding to WIDEn-N!

I mentioned to N2JR about the SSTV operation earlier down the band. He asked
how to do it. I said just download the usual mmSSTV, and set the TX to MP73
mode.  He did it, and then we QSYed back to 10.132.I proceeded to send him 4 or
5 Mobile LiveCAM pics which he copied nearly perfectly! I think we have a new
recruit for the weekly Saturday gathering.

Since no voice operation is allowed on 30M (in the US at least!), I think the
two sound card apps "mmSSTV" and "APRS Messenger" have perfect synergy for SSTV
ops on 30M.  (SSTV normally is conducted in the phone bands and involves voice
comments between the pictures.   The APRS messaging is an excellent substitute
for voice comments on the non-voice 30M band.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7