[aprssig] APRS data via perl-to-tnc

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:59:30 EDT 2011

Re "What ya trying to achieve"  I want to get an APRS data stream from some
arbitrary station onto our CAD's MySQL db.

Currently, we pull a given station's data from aprs.fi despite that
station's sitting maybe six feet away. An ARES/RACES team user has asked me
to look into avoiding the latency and error-proneness inherent to the long
path.  (Agreed that we shudda done that years ago!)

The CAD's in PHP, which hasn't much in the way of serial port handling
capabilities in most of its installs, anyway.  I see some perl examples of
that, and one lister has described that interface as trivial.  And, HH has
just shared some information re sources.  So, a Perl interface makes some
sense here.

(Frankly, it sounds easily-enough done, but at the moment  I don't have a
suitable receiver/tnc to play with, so I'm bothering you all here for some
confirmation.)

The endgame has us adding a smallish Perl script to our CAD distribution to
do so.

AS