[aprssig] Vicinity plotting

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 22 15:35:49 EST 2011

On 11/22/2011 3:16 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> Thanks for the advice re: all these issues I'm just discovering now. I think I'll make vicinity plotting optionally enableable but off by default, and stop reporting anything as distance-to-station for Coast-of-Africa points.

At least 0,0 is an easily recognizable point!  Although for a while,
someone in OpenStreetMaps had the "North Pole" located at 0,0!

> Just out of curiosity, what missing fraction do you use for increased-ambiguity positions? Zero digits? Half-way across the span? Random digits like the spec says?

Bob doesn't agree with the way I do it, but I render it 1/2 across the
ambiguous position, draw a tight purple circle around the symbol to
indicate that something is strange here, and (if enabled by the user)
draw a large circle at the ambiguity distance.  And if you watch a
mobile ambiguous station (I have a view filter to show ONLY ambiguous
stations, they're fun to watch) overlayed on a street map, you can
pretty much pinpoint where they are.  No security there.  And, IMHO,
ambiguity isn't security for a repeater position either because once you
get within the ambiguous distance, you can probably spot the tower
(unless it's been stealthed).

> I'm trying to support stacked sites; the user can click on them and see all of the co-located stations and objects. I've seen stacks as high as 5 at one precise location (3 bands of D-star repeater, WX, and digi) in my immediate area. Still trying to decide whether I should sort particular types of stations to the top of the stack, or just leave it arbitrary.

I developed an algorithm to shuffle the callsign labels around a stack
when I realized that every station is the world is potentially on a
single stack if you zoom out far enough.  So, I don't bother sorting
other than alpha order by callsign which is the order of my internal
station list for binary search reasons.  I just loop the list and draw
the stations, so the higher alpha-sort callsign ends up on "top", but
IMHO, that's as good as any other.  Just zoom over to KJ4ERJ-1 and
you'll have a bigger stack (10) to test with!  (a b/KJ4ERJ* filter will
get you most of them).

And at "normal" (non tight) zoom levels, Dayton will give you a really
big stack!

PS. Since you're targeting java with your client, can we expect it to
run on a BlackBerry?