[aprssig] Vicinity plotting

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 22 12:15:43 EST 2011

Having struggled with the same thing myself, I finally decided that any
station from which I have not received a position report will be located
at 0,0 until I get a position report.  I examined many many paths before
coming to the conclusion that there is NO good solution that will
RELIABLY tell you where you should RANDOMLY position said station.  And
cluttering the map with ambiguity circles or any other indication that
the station really is NOT where you're drawing it was worse than just
keeping the station off the map until a position was received.

I would also recommend against any sort of automatic query of a station
from which you think you need additional information.  Think of the
traffic that would be generated when you successfully replace UI-View
and 10,000 instances of your client (yes, it works via APRS-IS too, I
assume) "decide" they need to know exactly where that event tracker
actually IS and fire out the requests.  Not a pretty picture in my
mind's eye.

If you haven't heard where a station is, then my opinion is that the
station might as well be invisible, but at least I draw them at 0,0 off
the coast of Africa.

PS.  All that said, I am considering some better approaches having
watched the real-time plots of packet paths in APRSISCE/32.  I may (or
may not) implement some sort of user-option for "guessing" a position
for a non-beaconing station...