[aprssig] Web page index?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Nov 19 09:24:45 EST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Jim (List) wrote:

> True directory browsing is a server-enabled function, and a security risk so
> it's very rare to find any that do allow it (in my experience, those who do
> are small / home ISP's who don't realise the risk or haven't realised it's
> on).

I think it is rare to see it enabled on an entire server. However it is often used, and is not a security risk, for individual directories, particularly those whose contents change dynamically. For example, the NWS radar directories where each file name includes a timestamp is shown this way. This is easily done with a file ".htaccess" for Apache web servers.

Bob, if you are hosted on an Apache web server (by far the most common) try creating a file .htaccess in the directory you want to show, in the file put the line

Options +Indexes

There are a couple different ways to show the index, depending on the server default you can add either of these to get the non-default

IndexOptions +FancyIndexing

IndexOptions -FancyIndexing

if you have files you don't want to show, like jpgs and gifs for example, you can use this line to exclude them from the listing

IndexIgnore *.gif *.jpg

Steve K4HG