[aprssig] Suggestions for TNC

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 14 22:56:58 EST 2011

On 11/14/2011 1:44 AM, Rob wrote:
> On 14/11/11 06:19, Andrew Rich wrote:
>> I have gone back to just a receiver on 145.175 MHz ( Australian freq )
>> I am now looking for a device to decode APRS.
>>
> I hear the OpenTracker USB does a good job for $USD40

Just make sure you've got the audio level dialed in right.  It has 3
different input gain settings to make it easier, but it's working an
8-bit processor pretty hard to do the demodulation and it has limited
dynamic range.

With that done, it works quite well.  I just got some samples of some
cool little 1-watt transceiver modules, and the audio level came out
perfect without any tweaking - decode performance in the (fairly short)
test I did was on par with the MX614-based Tracker2.

The Tracker3 uses a 32-bit processor and isn't as picky about the input
level.

Scott
N1VG