[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 17:45:09 EST 2011

On 11/13/2011 4:53 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 11/13/2011, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
>> On UIview, at least, it's trivially easy to generate these objects for
>> transmission.  Click on the desired location on the map, and then open the
>> Object Editor.
>
> That would work for a handful of objects, but not for the dozens of objects I
> might want to bring in as an overlay file. For example, I recently worked a
> marathon event that had 26 mile markers and about 18 aid stations. I had
> those locations plotted out on a map, but not in a format that UI-View nor
> APRSIS/32 understood.
>
> There is nothing trivial about manually and repetitively clicking and filling
> out dialog boxes when I already have the data in .GPX or some other GPS or
> map program format.
>
> Bob...

Hmmm.....

Maybe we should implore the developers of the open-source GPS Babel conversion
utility to add "APRS Format" to the 50-odd GPS data formats they already
support for conversions to & from.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7