[aprssig] Handling incoming messages for different SSID

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Sun Nov 13 16:27:28 EST 2011

Hello APRS community,

today I was made aware that most APRS clients alert the user about all
messages to the user's callsign, irregardless of the SSID the message
was sent to.

My client, APRSdroid, so far only displays messages directed to the
exact callsign-ssid that is configured. Unfortunately, I could not find
anything in the "specs" regarding the issue.

Now, my questions are:

Should the application notify the user of incoming messages to all their
SSIDs (DO1GL*)?  Only of messages to the configured SSID (DO1GL-5)? Or
configured SSID and no-SSID (DO1GL-5, DO1GL)?

Should there be a difference in display of such messages? Right now, I
do not display the user's own callsign due its redundancy.

I suppose, the application should only send ACKs for messages directed
at the configured callsign-ssid to avoid duplication problems. Is that
correct?

Should the application strip the SSID from the destination callsign in
outgoing messages?

Where can I find documentation / specification regarding the above
questions?

Kind regards,

Georg DO1GL
--