[aprssig] Symbols for traffic alerts

Steve AB3LT at RoseAndSteve.us
Sat Nov 12 10:26:31 EST 2011

Bob,
Thanks for you comments. I've been running a PSGATE here 24/7 for
about two years. The most useful thing I've found is that I can't just
sit in the shack and let the computer do its thing, squirting out APRS
Objects. I set it up, got it running, then I'll throw a laptop with
xastir in the truck and drive around my county and see what works. Get
home, think about things, read through mailing lists like aprssig,
tweak some settings like adding object location specific outgoing
paths, like you mention below, and go out again and see if or how it
works. I challenge anyone who says HAM's have nowhere to experiment on
VHF to jump in and give APRS a hard look beyond just connecting to
APRS-IS over the internet and plotting symbols on a map. There is so
much more to it!
73, Steve AB3LT