[aprssig] Kenwood D710 Mic protocol

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 10 12:02:00 EST 2011

Im not following this thread closely, but here is a data point.

Turns out the D700 DTMF keyboard interface will work with the D710... BUT,
the problem is, that it ONLY works for the DTMF text,  all the other buttons
such as editing >, <, del, and CR (ENTER) the old D700 interface was able to
implement via programmable function keys on the Mic.  Such that your hands
never had to leave the keyboard to originate, edit and send the message.

On the D710, he can do the DTMF text, but your hands have to go back and
forth so much between the DTMF keyboard and the radio edit and send buttons
that it was not worth the trouble.

Maybe you guys can figure out the DATA stream to do all of this from your
Microntroller.  This would be FANTASTIC.

Just do not overlook the fact, that unless you can do the Texting, and
Editing and other message functions all from the added keyboard, then it
might be a frustrating result?

Bob, Wb4APR