[aprssig] Device Capabilities & proportional pathing

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 9 16:40:44 EST 2011

> Unfortunately, the D72 and D710 don't honor the Proportional Pathing
> setting when Smart Beaconing is enabled. Two features that improve
> efficiency of APRS bandwidth, but you can't use them both. I guess
> Kenwood doesn't want APRS to be too efficient.

It does not make sense to combine them. Proportional pathing operates in the TIME and PATH domain. To minimize the load on the network while still providing close-in high frequency reporting.

Smart beaconing operates in the SPACIAL domain minimizing the load but retaining turn-by-turn reporting for better EVENT tracking.

Combining them would eliminate the regularity desired by using Proportional Pathing.

Bob, Wb4APR