[aprssig] questions about the Bulletin Screen "billboard" concept

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Nov 9 06:58:18 EST 2011

* Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb at homeside.to> [2011-11-09 03:49]:
> >Looking forward to some good advice.
> Be ready to do it, and re-do it.  What platform are you targeting
> your application to if I may ask?

In case it is Java based, maybe you can make use of (and contribute to)
the APRS parser/encoder which is part of AVRS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avrs/

It would be great for the community as well as for the APRS standard to
have a strong multi-platform library which can be plugged into own
projects. Maybe together we can make that vision come true!

> And if you're planning to release it to the general amateur radio
> public, you should probably read G4ILO's excellent description of what
> you can expect from your user base:
>
> http://blog.g4ilo.com/2010/10/advice-to-amateur-programmers.html

However, you should not take the advice too serious. Most of the
feedback I'm getting for APRSdroid is very positive. The only
significant exception are people too impatient to wait for an APRS-IS
passcode.

73 from Germany,

Georg DO1GL
--
APRSdroid - Open Source APRS Position reporting and Mapping on Android
http://aprsdroid.org/m ++ https://market.android.com/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app