[aprssig] Reply-Ack Spec vs }AA

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Nov 6 12:04:13 EST 2011

Then I believe it also impacts the allowed characters in an APRS message
to exclude the } as one that is NOT allowed near the end of a message,
and I know I'll be coding APRSISCE/32 to ONLY consider it an }AA (and
remove it from user visibility) if it appears SPECIFICALLY as the 2nd
from last character (where AA is the next to last and last characters).

Right now, anyone can send a } anywhere in a message and be
spec-compliant.  An } after the { was "protected" by being part of the 5
characters of allowed sequence.

Clever it was, but it was stated as if it were part of the spec and I'm
really really trying to get to the top of the slipping and sliding stack
of "specs" (both written and unwritten) that make up the nuances of
APRS.  You may not like them, and they may be hard to arrive at, but
documented specs and requirements are necessary if you expect APRS to
survive new implementations.