[aprssig] Auto-Answer meets Auto-Responder (AVRS)

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Nov 1 13:43:54 EDT 2011

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> According to aprs.fi, it was AVRS.  I suspect MB7UXX simply closed
> their  UI-View application that was firing the [AA]s.

...or manually disabled auto reply, or sent a message (I didn't look) which
would automatically disable it. It is also automatically disabled when
exiting the program, so the user would have to manually enable it if they
wanted it enabled next time around.

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=AVRS&limit=1000&view=normal

http://www.aprs.org/avrs.html

Any chance the operator of AVRS could make modifications to account
for APRS clients or radios that send an auto reply / answer to prevent
such loops? Perhaps it so far only looks for ":ackxx" coming back.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH