[aprssig] Nuvi 350 - D710 error message

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon May 30 23:38:04 EDT 2011

Sam K3BY wrote...

> Sorry yes Keith it was the GTRANS cable with the small pc
> board encased in heat shirkable tubing.

OK, just making sure it wasn't the FMI cable that would only work
with the T2 series. I have a GTRANS cable here. Try connecting
the cable to a computer running a terminal program at 4800N81 and
connect the other end to the Nuvi. Then power the Nuvi on via the
cradle. Do you see "Argent Data Systems GTRANS v1.2" (or
whatever the version number is) in the terminal program? When
the Nuvi gets a location, do you see NMEA data streaming in
the terminal program? This will prove that the Nuvi is powered
via the cradle, that the GTRANS cable is working and that it is
outputting NMEA for your radio.

Argent Data Systems GTRANS v1.2
$GPGGA,032529,4848.9332,N,12327.3270,W,1,08,1.0,174.4,M,-18.0,M,,*7C
$GPRMC,032529,A,4848.9332,N,12327.3270,W,0.5,319.0,310511,,*01
$GPGLL,4848.9332,N,12327.3270,W,032529,A*3F

If it is working in both directions, when it is connected back to
the D710, you should see received position reports outputted to
the Nuvi as waypoints. You confirmed that part in your previous
message. If you click on MENU while viewing the map, you should
see a bar graph in the top left corner. Touch that and it should
bring up the satellite view. That would confirm that it had a
valid fix... or that it was still acquiring satellites. It appears that
the GTRANS doesn't output any NMEA sentences until the
Nuvi has a lock.

Just to confirm... was it the radio that told you "this accessory is
not supported"? The Nuvi must have external power. Without it, you
should see "serial accessory requires external power" on the Nuvi.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH