[aprssig] Aeronautical Mobile Best Practices?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 30 14:54:36 EDT 2011

On 5/29/2011 6:21 AM, Joe Dubner wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Here's my idea of "best practices" gleaned from more than 1000 hours of
> flying time over the past 8 years:
>

> 3.  Don't use MIC-E; use plain ASCII.  This doesn't take a lot of extra
> bandwidth  considering all the wasted bits with extra flags for TxD,
> etc. but makes troubleshooting long-delayed packets a whole lot easier.
>  In addition, not all MIC-E packets are decoded correctly; my error

If you are using the all-in one radios like the Kenwood TH-D7 or TH-D72, , you
really don't have a choice. These devices use Mic-E exclusively.

> logs are filled with things like: "Parsing failed: Invalid characters in
> mic-e information field (mice_inv_info)"  Just today there were a couple
> dozen of these and other errors reported by the FAP.pm parser.

Probably due to over or under-deviated transmit audio.

No modern igate hardware/software or APRS-IS server has problems with MIc-E
format.   It used to be a problem with buggy versions of WinAPRS and aprsD that
attempted to translate Mic-E to standard format at the igate before forwarding
the packet to the APRS-IS.