[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Sat May 28 16:48:05 EDT 2011

Bob Bruninga  writes:

> > Yes, rich people like you and me and almost everybody
> > on this list can do whatever we want, but does it matter?
> > Much of CO2 comes from burning coal mines in Russia and
> > China etc....
>
> Huh? missinformation.  The USA consumes TEN TIMES the energy as china, and European(EU 27) consumes another 5 times.  And most of the USA energy comes form burning coal.  So blaming it on the Chinese is completely obfuscating the issue.

BoB, I wasn't talking about coal power. I just wanted to remind some
people that there are tens of former coal mines in the world that have
been abandoned because of an uncontrolled fire. Most of them are in
Russia and in China. Those produce lots of CO2.

> "Very poor efficiency" is a meaningless subjecive term.  Yes the power supply in a CFL is only converting about 20% of the electricity to light, but that is 400% better than an incandescent wihch only produces 5% light at best!  Hence the 4-to-1 savings from using CFL's.

Suppose you live in a place where you don't have to warm up your house
most of the year.

And 10-year CFL's really do not exist. The cheap ones sometimes reach
a lifetime of 2000 hours, the better ones may reach even 5000 hours or
so.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!