[aprssig] Just my 2 cents worth on smart beaconing

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 24 19:05:58 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:14:38PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wes at ai4px.com> flavor, containing:
> .  The "fast beacon" rate is the point at which your tracker goes
> from "transmit on a turn" mode to "beacon every xx miles" mode.

No, the fast speed is where your tracker starts beaconing at the fast rate,
i.e. a purely timed beacon at higher rate.  Only between slow and fast speeds
does SmartBeaconing work in "beacon every xx miles" modulo corner pegging, and
then only by scaling the fast beacon rate by the ratio between "fast speed" and
your current speed.  Above fast speed, corner pegging is disabled and
everything's just timed at a fixed rate.

Look again at the algorithm on http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html, it
doesn't jibe with some of what you've said here.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."