[aprssig] APRS on Smart Devices [WAS: APRN news from Dayton!]

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue May 24 15:18:17 EDT 2011

Julian, thanks for your followup.  I want to clarify my position to make it
clear that I am not saying "use the cellular network".   Instead, I am saying
"use the devices facilities to access APRS."  In particular, with IP
connectivity, there is nothing that says I could not be in Texas, for example,
and use WIFI facilities on my smart device to access a HSMM network operated by
HAMs there in a community so that I could access the APRS-IS, an IP accessible
TNC connected to a 144.390mhz transceiver etc.  Or, as I said, I might have, in
my car, a TNC connected to a 144.390mhz transceiver that has a WISNAP module
connected to it, so that WIFI paths to the TNC are available.  I might have an
iPad in the car with me doing APRS just fine, using the normal 144.390mhz stuff.

I might also have that connected to a WIFI access point in the car with me that
would allow other people with smart devices to operate in a local APRS network
supporting some event on the ground.  They could be collecting information (for
example in Joplin MO) and my network would allow all these devices to exchange
information about what is going on.

For this to work, we all need to accept that things like this might be the ONLY
way that a HAM can provide support in a situation such as what exists in Joplin
MO today, or perhaps someplace here in Oklahoma tomorrow, if today goes as bad
as the NWS says it will.

Requiring that only 144.390mhz is how we get APRS or other digital payloads to
flow is short sighted.  We have multiple bands and modes on our HAM radios
because one way is not always the answer.

We really need to work out how we will accommodate these smart devices to be a
healthy part of the services we can provide.

144.390 is a very capable network today, but there is only one large area DIGI
in may areas, and when that goes down, we may need something else to support
larger areas.   144.390 is okay, but if all we have is working cellular node
with internet data out of our mobile devices, then we need to be able to use
that, and RF people need to be on equal footing with these smart devices.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW