[aprssig] APRN news from Dayton!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 23 23:30:55 EDT 2011

On 5/23/2011 8:15 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Has anyone fed exterenal NTSC video to their AVMAP GPS display  video input?
>
> This could solve the problem of having a "viewfinder" for the Argent Data Systems Camera.  I assume that is why the GPS comes with a pigtail adapter with an RCA socket on it?
>
> Bob, WB4APR

I downloaded the manual for the new AVmap 6, looking to answer this question.
They seem to have done away with the video input of the previous models. The
only video capability seems to be a tuner for DVB-T (Digital Video
Broadcast-Terrestrial) which is more or less the Euro equivalent of our ATSC
digital TV, in certain European  flavors of the AVmap 6.

Further, the real question is whether the actual video sensor part of the
Argent Data camera scans at normal NTSC rates at all. Or is it scanned at some
oddball rate, without NTSC composite encoding at all, to simplify down-sampling
and conversion to SSTV?    The documented pinout makes no mention of an NTSC FS
output at all.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net