[aprssig] APRN news from Dayton!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 23 15:52:51 EDT 2011

On 5/23/2011 11:48 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Which I hope will become a simple download for anyone to set up anywhere.
> Another way to send in the pictures might be via IRLP, Echolink, D-star or
> Wires...?  With the loss of the Kenwood VC-H1 camera there has been no
> incentive for future APRN sites.  Now I hope we can get moving again...

Won't work on these Internet links.  I've tried this over Echolink & Skype.
The voice-centric lossy high-compression codecs used to achieve lot-bit-rate IP
streams in these systems absolutely destroy the phase and amplitude integrity
of tones for modes like SSTV or packet.  (When you overdial DTMF tones in
Echolink to function a repeater or remote base (or the distant Echolink client
itself) at the far end, the tones are actually decoded locally, sent as
something like an ASCII data stream over the IP link,  and then regenerated
into tones at the far end.)

However, there is an alternative.

IP-Sound is a Free application for audio exchange client to client over a
TCP/IPv4 network (Lan/Internet). The main purpose for the existence of IP-Sound
is to provide low quality audio 8-16kHz, with low latency for use together with
remote control software for "ham" radio amateur equipment. IP-Sound is
developed by SM5VXC.

It can be used to transport the audio part of a ham remote-control setup (i.e.
the mike and speaker audio) end-to-end over a network or Internet connection.
The advantage of IP-Sound over systems like Skype, MS Netmeeting or Echolink is
that it can use lossless codecs that won't mangle the phase/amplitude integrity
of audio signals received by the sound card. This is critical to operating
modes like PSK31 and SSTV.

The downside is that the IP data link runs at a constant 50-100 KB/s data rate,
compared to the variable 5-20 KB/sec rate of the other systems; i.e. it's more
like the standard 64KB/sec toll-grade voice channel of a telco T-1 link.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====