[aprssig] GPS problems in Los Angeles?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri May 20 20:59:46 EDT 2011

On 5/20/2011 5:53 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Has anyone had a problem with their GPS receiver in Los Angeles on Friday, May 20 some time between 1200 and 1500 PDT?  I was driving around when my D700 started beeping wildly (I had beeps turned off on my GPSr).  The GPSr was showing me strange or impossible readings for almost an hour.  It would show speeds in excess of 100 MPH, altitudes of negative 90 feet or altitudes of 7000+ feet (my altitude at the time was 1000 feet).
>
> Signal strength was there but the receiver was falling out of lock with the satellites.  At the time I was using the internal antenna and not the amplified external antenna.

Must have been some localized interference.  Where were you?

I have been testing APRS software all afternoon (shaking down the latest
version of the APRS Messenger PSK63 soundcard app) with a couple of live GPS
receivers (A Rand McNally mouse and a Delorme Earthmate 20)in Pasadena. I have
not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====